With home ownership comes responsibility and maintenance. It’s important to make sure your home is safe and healthy. Since it’s not always possible to see a mold problem, detecting signs of mold in the home can be tricky. Read on to learn about signs of mold in your home that you should pay attention to.
What is Mold?
A mold is a form of fungus that can be found indoors and outdoors. Mold thrives in humid, moist environments like bathrooms, kitchens, and basements.
Types of Mold
There are many different species of mold with various colors and textures. You may notice black, green, white, and yellow spots or stains that sometimes have a fuzzy texture.
The most common forms of indoor mold include:
- Aspergillus – Aspergillus is a common indoor mold that can grow on leather and cloth furniture and carpets.
- Alternaria -This kind of mold commonly appears in damp areas like sinks and showers.
- Cladosporium – Growing in both cool and warm environments, this mold grows on wood and cloth surfaces.
Health Issues Are Signs of Mold In the Home
Getting sick from mold exposure is one of the most common things that prompt people to look for signs of mold in the home.
Symptoms that can be caused by mold exposure:
- Red, itchy eyes
- Shortness of breath
An easy and effective way to test whether mold may be a problem is to see if your symptoms improve when you’re at work or outdoors. If you’re most comfortable away from your house, then there is most likely mold in your home.
Another strong indicator of a mold infestation is a musty and earthy smell. It’s important to keep in mind that you may not see the mold and will only suspect it because of the smell. Should this be the case, it’s in your best interest to hire a mold inspection company to find the source.
Mold needs moisture to grow, and condensation is a sign that your home is too humid and a perfect environment for mold. Purchase a high-quality dehumidifier to lower the humidity levels, eliminate condensation, and prevent mold from growing.
Mold grows and spreads quickly, so if you notice any of these signs of mold in the home, be proactive and contact a professional.